EnvironmentalThis criteria identifies a company's impact, positive and negative, on our planet.
SocialThis criteria focuses on the human element of a company, from culture to issues that reach employees, consumers and suppliers.
Corporate GovernanceThis criteria tackles issues concerning the board of directors and company oversight. It notes how boards relate to stakeholders, how businesses are run, and financial considerations.
Achievements and Initiatives
- Supporting Principles for Responsible Investment (PRI) since 2008. TDAM was among the first Canadian bank-owned asset managers to sign the United Nations-backed PRI.
View the 2020 PRI Transparency Report for TDAM and TD Greystone*
- A Carbon Disclosure Project (CDP) signatory for CDP Climate Change, Forests, and Water. CDP envisions a thriving economy that benefits our people and planet in the long-term.
- A Canadian Coalition of Good Governance (CCGG) participant that promotes good governance in Canadian public companies, improves the regulatory environment, and aligns board interests with shareholder interests.
- A Climate Action 100+ signatory for an investor initiative that holds the world's largest greenhouse gas emitters accountable for their impacts on climate change.
- An Investor Stewardship Group (ISG) signatory for an investor-led organization that established a framework of basic investment stewardship and corporate governance standards.
- An active member of the Global Real Estate Sustainability Benchmark (GRESB), the leading ESG benchmark for real assets.
- Strong collaboration with regulators, stock exchanges, global peers, and ESG data providers to strengthen the sustainable finance agenda. TDAM was one of twenty institutional investors to join a pilot project conducted by the United Nations Environment Programme - Finance Initiative (UNEP FI) to assess how climate change could impact investor portfolios worldwide. Learn more
- Institutional Investor signatory to RIA Canada's Canadian Investor Statement on Diversity & Inclusion. As statement that acknowledges the existence of systemic racism and its impacts on Black and Indigenous communities and People of Colour in Canada and globally.
- TDAM is a member of International Corporate Governance Network (ICGN) to help promote corporate governance standards and best practices in global markets.
- TDAM is a supporter of the Taskforce on Climate Related Financial Disclosures (TCFD). As supporters of the TCFD recommendations and end-users of TCFD reporting TDAM will be better equipped to evaluate and manage climate related risks and opportunities in our portfolios and potentially add more value for investors. Click here to learn more.
- TD Asset Management Inc. (TDAM) is a signatory to the 2021 Global Investor Statement to Governments on the Climate Crisis. As a signatory of the Statement to world governments, TDAM is urging them to undertake five priority actions to accelerate climate investment before COP26. Click here to learn more.
* TD Greystone Asset Management (TD Greystone) legally amalgamated with TD Asset Management Inc. (TDAM) on November 1, 2019.
TDAM's Sustainable Investing Approach
At TDAM, sustainability is a long-term investment. This firm-wide approach helps our investment teams tackle ESG integration and adopt processes for their mandates. Our ESG Engagement Committee, comprised of diverse and seasoned professionals, oversees our ESG strategy and efforts.
In 2021, we believe greater attention to four key areas in ESG will add significant value in seeking long-term sustainable-growing assets.
Seek to track the performance of a Canadian equity market index which measures the investment return of Canadian large- and mid-capitalization issuers that exhibit higher ESG ratings relative to their peers.
Seeks to track the performance of a U.S. equity market index which measures the investment return of U.S. large- and mid- capitalization issuers that exhibit higher ESG ratings relative to their peers.
Seeks to track the performance of an international equity market index which measures the investment return of large- and mid-capitalization issuers in Developed Markets located outside of North America, that exhibit higher ESG ratings relative to their peers.
The fundamental investment objective is to seek to achieve long-term capital appreciation while following a socially responsible approach to investing. The Fund may invest primarily in, or gain exposure to, North American equity securities.
The fundamental investment objective is to seek to earn income with the potential for capital appreciation while following a socially responsible approach to investing. The Fund may invest primarily in, or gain exposure to, North American equity and fixed income securities.
Lithium batteries play a crucial role in decreasing our reliance on fossil fuels. At the same time, being mindful of ESG impacts in the lithium battery life cycle is important for environmentally and socially conscious investors.