On Thursday, October 26, 2023, TD Global Investment Solutions (TDGIS) hosted the 10th annual Institutional Investment Symposium in Toronto. This one-day exclusive event featured some of our top investment leaders discussing in depth the latest innovative institutional strategies that are important to investors today.
Attendees had the opportunity to spend the day learning and networking. On our main stage, thought leaders shared invaluable insights, while the breakout sessions provided a more intimate setting allowing attendees to hear more specialized topics and engage in meaningful discussions.
Main Stage: Leadership Insights
Our day started with a "Fireside Chat" with Bruce Cooper, Chief Executive Officer of TD Asset Management Inc. (TDAM) and Epoch Investment Partners, Inc. (TD Epoch), Executive Vice President of TD Bank Group, as he discussed "What's New at TDGIS" with Mark Cestnik, Managing Director and Head of Global Institutional Distribution, TDGIS.
Next, we heard the latest industry updates in the "Markets, Economy and Investment Landscape" panel discussion, moderated by Greg Bonnell, Host of MoneyTalk Live and featured:
- David Sykes, Chief Investment Officer, TDAM and Senior Vice President, TD Bank Group
- Beata Caranci, Senior Vice President & Chief Economist, TD Bank Group
- Kevin Hebner, Managing Director, Global Investment Strategist, TD Epoch
- Hussein Allidina, Managing Director, Head of Commodities, TDAM
As part of our afternoon session, we were pleased to have special guest speaker Tomi Poutanen, Chief Investment Officer & Co-founder of Signal 1, former Senior Vice President and Chief AI Officer at TD Bank Group in conversation with Angie Elkhodiry, Associate Vice President, Head of Business Innovation, TDGIS, as they discussed Harnessing the Power of Artificial Intelligence: Transforming Industries and Society. This exciting presentation took a closer look at artificial intelligence, its impact on our society and the opportunities if offers to industries.
One of the highlights of the Institutional Investment Symposium are the interactive breakout sessions. Attendees choose topics of interest from the sessions listed below and heard senior investment leaders discuss our broad range of investment capabilities. Each session concluded with an opportunity to further the conversation and ask questions.
- Equities: What is Quality, and Why is it Mispriced?
- Alternatives: The Value Story in Commercial Real Estate – Is it Time to be Contrarian?
- Asset Liability Management: Rates Up, Funding Status Improved, Inflation – How to Plan for the Next Step?
- Target Date: Bridging the Gap: Delivering a Defined Benefit Like Experience for Defined Contribution Plan Members
- Environmental Social Governance: Interconnections Between Climate Change and Social Factors
- Asset Allocation: Diversifying Alternatives Exposures with Commodities
- Quantitative: Advances in Artificial Intelligence and their implications on Quantitative Investing
For a complete recap of the day, including additional articles related to each of our breakout sessions, please see the event synopsis.
If you would like more information about this year's Institutional Investment Symposium, please contact your TDGIS Relationship Manager.
TD Bank Group means The Toronto-Dominion Bank and its affiliates, who provide deposit, investment, loan, securities, trust, insurance and other products or services. TD Global Investment Solutions represents TD Asset Management Inc. (“TDAM”) and Epoch Investment Partners, Inc. (“TD Epoch”). TDAM and TD Epoch are affiliates and wholly-owned subsidiaries of The Toronto-Dominion Bank. ® The TD logo and other TD trademarks are the property of The Toronto-Dominion Bank or its subsidiaries.