An introduction to Credit Card Points
One of the benefits that can make certain credit cards appealing is the ability to earn rewards on your spending. When it comes to earning points, there are two types of credit card rewards we offer – Aeroplan® points and TD Rewards Points.
Benefits of Aeroplan points
Aeroplan points are a type of point included in the Air Canada® loyalty program, you can earn them on all purchases made with any TD® Aeroplan® Credit Card. They can be redeemed towards travel – like flights, hotels, and rental cars - and even for things like merchandise, experiences, and gift certificates.
Learn more about our cards that can earn you Aeroplan points.
Benefits of TD Rewards Points
TD Rewards Points are a type of credit card reward earned on select TD Credit Cards, and can be redeemed for travel, merchandise, gift cards, statement credits and more. You can even use your TD Rewards Points towards purchases on Amazon.ca with Amazon Shop with Points.
Learn more about our cards that can earn you TD Rewards Points.
The best ways to earn credit card points
Credit card points are earned by making eligible purchases with your card. Some credit cards will let you earn bonus points for certain types of purchases like paying for gas or groceries, booking travel through specific providers, or for setting up regularly recurring bill payments (like a streaming service subscription or phone bill) on your credit card.
It can be easy to earn credit card points since you are often able to earn points for every eligible purchase you make on your credit card.
When you're considering which credit card has the right rewards program for you, it's a good idea to think about your personal spending habits, and what type of points would bring you the most value. Let's say you know that you will be spending a lot on gas. It may be a good idea to look into getting a credit card that has an accelerator (meaning you earn more points for every eligible dollar spent) that earns you more points every time you fill up your car. Likewise, if you are an avid traveller, choosing a card that gets you the most value for flights or hotels may be preferred.
Earning Aeroplan points with TD® Aeroplan® Credit Cards
Depending on the TD® Aeroplan® Credit Card you choose, you may be able to earn even more points for spending on:
- Eligible purchases made directly with Air Canada®, including Air Canada Vacations®1, 2, 3, 4.
- Eligible gas and grocery purchases1, 2, 3, 4.
And don't forget, you'll always earn Aeroplan points on all other eligible purchases too. Not to mention, you can earn points twice when you pay with your credit card and provide your Aeroplan number at over 150 Aeroplan partner brands and at 170+ online retailers via the Aeroplan eStore5, 16.
If you're not sure what you want to use your points on, you don't need to decide right away. Your Aeroplan points don't expire as long as you're a TD Aeroplan Primary Cardholder in good standing, so you can keep saving those points until you're ready to use them. You can also choose to combine points with family members for free so you can earn points faster.
Earning TD Rewards Points
If you choose to get a TD Travel Credit Card, there are a handful of accelerator categories to help you earn more points, including:
- Eligible travel purchases made through ExpediaForTD.com6, 7, 8, 9.
- Eligible gas, grocery, or recurring bill payment purchases10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15.
Plus, you'll earn at least one TD Reward Point on all other eligible purchases you make on your card. And since your points never expire as long as your account is open and in good standing you can let them build up until you're ready to use them.
How To redeem Credit Card Points
Most popular reward programs offered through a Credit Card have more than one way to redeem points, and our Credit Cards are no different.
With our Aeroplan cards, you can book through Air Canada and use your points for travel, or earn more on your travel purchases.
Everyday Rewards: You can use your TD Rewards Points for your purchases at Amazon and Starbucks, Gift Cards, cash credits and more. Learn more.
Travel: Redeem your TD Rewards Points for not just your flight, but also hotels, car rentals, and much more. Learn more.
How much are credit card points worth?
The number of credit card points you need to redeem something depend on a number of different factors, like when and how you choose to redeem them. Tools like the Aeroplan Points Predictor or portals like Expedia for TD can help you understand just how far your points can get you.
Choosing the best credit card for you
If you're looking to get a card that lets you earn points, here are some things to consider to help you narrow your search:
- Reward Type: Decide which rewards program offers the benefits that you're likely to get the most out of. Many credit cards come with additional benefits outside of their credit card points program, like additional travel perks, insurance coverage, and discounts, so it's helpful to look at all the benefits that would come with the card before you apply.
- Category: Look to see if the card earns more points on the things you tend to purchase consistently like groceries or gas. That way you know you'll be earning as many points as you can.
- Annual Fee: If there's an annual fee on the card, do you think you'll spend or redeem enough to offset the cost? This may be something worth considering when comparing your options.
- Income Requirements: There may be certain individual or household income requirements that impact your eligibility for certain cards, so make sure you check if you qualify before you apply.
If you're still not sure which card may be best for you, you can answer a few simple questions and we can help you find a card that meets your needs.
Share this article