The Toronto housing market: Things to know
- The average home in Toronto typically costs above $800, 000 which is higher than the national average.11
- The Toronto housing market continues to be a seller’s market due to limited supply and rising prices.12
- The federal government has taken steps to make homeownership more affordable for certain first-time buyers whether in Toronto or by introducing the First-Time Home Buyer Incentive.13
- Before you start searching for your home, it’s important to consider how much debt you can take on. Enter your details to find out how much you might be able to borrow.
All mortgage borrowers are subject to qualifying criteria (aka stress test) that would determine whether they would be able to afford their principal and interest payments should interest rates increase. Check with your TD Mobile Mortgage Specialist to understand how qualification rules can affect your mortgage loan.
- Down payment
A down payment is the amount of money you put towards the price of a home at the time of purchase.
- Amortization period vs term
The amortization period and a mortgage term have different meanings.
The amortization period is the total number of years it takes to pay off your mortgage assuming the interest rate and payment amount remains the same. If your down payment is less than 20%, your maximum allowable amortization period is 25 years. If your down payment is greater than 20%, you could have an amortization period of up to 30 years.
A mortgage term is the length of time you’re committed to a mortgage rate, lender, and associated conditions. TD has mortgage terms ranging from 6 months to 10 years, with 5 years being the most common option.
- Payment frequencies
Enjoy the flexibility of choosing how often to pay. You can determine your payment schedule, such as Weekly, Bi-Weekly, Monthly or several other options.
Did you know? Paying every other week might seem the same as paying twice a month but it's not. You’ll be making two extra principal and interest payments a year potentially saving thousands of dollars in interest over the term.
How can I get a mortgage in Toronto (or in Canada)?
- You could start by filling out a mortgage pre-approval to find out how much you may be able to borrow.
- Getting a mortgage pre-approval is a great way to find out how much you may be able to borrow. It’s a tool that can help guide you.
- Once you find the house you would like to purchase, you would apply for the mortgage.
- You may need to pass a stress test. Learn about mortgage rules in Canada.
- Once a lender approves the loan, you’ll review the terms and conditions of your mortgage.
TD Mortgage Affordability Calculator
Ways to apply
Found your dream home?
If you've made an offer, complete your mortgage application online now!
Have additional questions? Speak to a TD Mortgage Specialist now.
Book an appointment
Speak with an advisor in person or over the phone.
Too busy to visit a branch?
Meet with a Mortgage Specialist at your home, workplace, coffee shop or other convenient location.