You are now leaving our website and entering a third-party website over which we have no control.
Apply for Funding
Apply for funding
Applicants Notified 2024 - 2025
There will be two steps during the application process.
- A short application: when you first log into our granting portal, you will be prompted to fill out a short application. The form will help us make an initial assessment of your request, without you having to fill out the entire application. This step should help save you time and should take you approximately 15-20 minutes to complete. Once submitted, our community relations team will review and determine if your request can move to the next step. If you are not considered eligible for the next step, you will receive an email notifying you within eight to ten weeks of the application deadline.
- The application form: If you are considered eligible, you will receive an email notifying you that we are ready to receive more details regarding your request. You will be notified of our funding decision through email, within eight to ten weeks from the original application deadline (see table above for timelines).
Don't worry, our online system will walk you through this process.
When filling out your application, please include:
- Information about your organization, including your organization’s name, mandate and Charitable Registration Number or Incorporation Number
- Contact information, so that we can reach you, including an email address
- A list of the Board of Directors and Advisory Board members
- The most recent audited financial statements of the organization
- A description of the initiative for which you are requesting funding
- Overall funding objectives and where these funds are expected to come from (i.e. breakdown between public and private sector, funds coming from matching campaigns)
- The overall budget of the initiative
- How much financial support you are seeking from TD
- How the funds from TD will be used for your program and how that support might be recognized
- How you plan to measure and track progress towards the intended impacts of the initiative
We receive a range of requests from under $1,000 to over $1,000,000. Your application will be reviewed based on the scope of your initiative, including intended impacts to the community and the ability to measure and track progress. The amount requested will be assessed based on budgets, financial statements and other information provided in the application.
When applying, please consider that:
- For all requests:
- a donation from TD should normally not make up more than 20% of your organization's total operating budget
- for hospitals and post-secondary institutions, we will only consider one request per institution. Institutions must determine in-house which program/department/faculty they would like to put forward for support. If you are applying as a faculty, please ensure you have the endorsement of your university and we encourage you to centralize your request through the development/fundraising arm of your institution
- normally, we will not direct any portion of a grant to unrestricted or undesignated funds
- usually no more than 15% of our funding can be directed towards administrative costs for the organization. Costs (including staffing) directly related to delivering an initiative are not considered administrative
- we will not fund endowments
- For grants of $500,000 or more, normally we will consider:
- directing up to 20% of our grant towards capital expenses, if those expenses are directly related to the initiative we'd be supporting
- allocating up to 10% of our funding toward costs associated with evaluating the progress and outcomes of the initiative
- directing no more than 15% of our funding towards administrative costs for the organization. Costs (including staffing) directly related to delivering an initiative are not considered administrative
- for a stand-alone organization, the maximum donation to be capped at $500,000 per year, for a maximum of five years
The budget should reflect the totality of the revenues and the expenses. You can include your current operating budget. We may contact you to require budgets from previous years.