Civic and Political Contributions
Fostering discussion on public policy issues
TD sponsors and supports a range of forums, civic initiatives and other activities. Here are some examples:
- The Arthur Kroeger College of Public Affairs Leadership Forum at Carleton University in Ottawa, which connects leaders from the private, public and volunteer sectors to discuss perspectives on emerging national issues.
- The Public Policy Forum, which is an independent forum for open dialogue on public policy.
- Our Chief Economist chaired a government-sponsored Advisory Panel on Labour Market Information which advised governments on how labour market information can contribute to Canada’s economic growth and efficiency over the next decade.
- Programs that give the next generation an opportunity to experience the parliamentary process and how government works. These include the federal Parliamentary Information and Research Service Internship Programme, the Ontario Legislature Internship Program, the Forum for Young Canadians and the Toronto Youth Cabinet.
- Equal Voice, whose mission is to promote the election of more women at all levels of government across Canada.
- The Historica-Dominion Institute of Canada’s Passages to Canada Program, which introduces young Canadians to the immigrant experience in Canada.
Advocacy and Political Contributions
In Canada, TD continues to advocate the need for a tax and regulatory environment that fosters competitiveness domestically and internationally. We are a member of the Canadian Bankers Association, which contributes to the development of public policy on financial services, and the Toronto Financial Services Alliance, a public-/private-sector collaboration to enhance the city as a leading financial centre.
TD will continue to track and analyze developments towards principles-based regulation and sector restructuring within other jurisdictions with a view to assessing how these international trends will affect the Canadian regulatory regime.
To bolster the democratic process, every year TD donates to various political parties and candidates in Canada. In the U.S., we do not make political contributions.
|Political Contributions made by TD ($)|
The ongoing objective is to make sure that TD businesses are only taking on risks they understand and that are manageable within an acceptable level. And because of this disciplined approach to risk management, TD Bank Financial Group was one of the few global institutions that did not require government assistance during the financial crisis.