You are now leaving our website and entering a third-party website over which we have no control.
Apply for Funding
TD launched the TD Ready Commitment to help open doors for a more inclusive and sustainable tomorrow by focusing our community giving on four drivers of change. Read our informational sheet for each of these drivers here: Financial Security, Vibrant Planet, Connected Communities and Better Health.
Apply for funding
There are many ways TD supports your community. Chose the funding option below that best fits your organization or initiative. If your organization is based in the U.S., explore funding opportunities in the U.S.
For Corporate Donations, Sponsorships, and Dinners/Galas we have four deadlines each year. Please refer to the timelines below to plan your application accordingly. The portal will remain open throughout the year, but applications will only be reviewed during the timelines noted below. If you miss an application deadline, your application will be automatically pushed to the following round so you don't need to reapply.
For deadlines and details related to TD Friends of the Environment Foundation (TD FEF), please visit the TD FEF Grant page.
Application Timelines for Corporate Donations, Sponsorships and
Applicants Notified 2023-2024
There will be two steps during the application process.
- A short application: when you first log into our granting portal, you will be prompted to fill out a short application. The form will help us make an initial assessment of your request, without you having to fill out the entire application. This step should help save you time and should take you approximately 15-20 minutes to complete. Once submitted, our community relations team will review and determine if your request can move to the next step. If you are not considered eligible for the next step, you will receive an email notifying you within eight to ten weeks of the application deadline.
- The application form: If you are considered eligible, you will receive an email notifying you that we are ready to receive more details regarding your request. You will be notified of our funding decision through email, within eight to ten weeks from the original application deadline (see table above for timelines).
Don't worry, our online system will walk you through this process.
For more information regarding applications for the TD Friends of the Environment Foundation, please visit the TD FEF Grant page and for the TD Ready Challenge, please visit td.com/readychallenge.
When filling out your application, please include:
- Information about your organization, including your organization’s name, mandate and Charitable Registration Number or Incorporation Number
- Contact information, so that we can reach you, including an email address
- A list of the Board of Directors and Advisory Board members
- The most recent audited financial statements of the organization
- A description of the initiative for which you are requesting funding
- Overall funding objectives and where these funds are expected to come from (i.e. breakdown between public and private sector, funds coming from matching campaigns)
- The overall budget of the initiative
- How much financial support you are seeking from TD
- How the funds from TD will be used for your program and how that support might be recognized
- How you plan to measure and track progress towards the intended impacts of the initiative
We receive a range of requests from under $1,000 to over $1,000,000. Your application will be reviewed based on the scope of your initiative, including intended impacts to the community and the ability to measure and track progress. The amount requested will be assessed based on budgets, financial statements and other information provided in the application.
When applying, please consider that:
- For all requests:
- a donation from TD should normally not make up more than 20% of your organization's total operating budget
- for hospitals and post-secondary institutions, we will only consider one request per institution. Institutions must determine in-house which program/department/faculty they would like to put forward for support. If you are applying as a faculty, please ensure you have the endorsement of your university and we encourage you to centralize your request through the development/fundraising arm of your institution
- normally, we will not direct any portion of a grant to unrestricted or undesignated funds
- usually no more than 15% of our funding can be directed towards administrative costs for the organization. Costs (including staffing) directly related to delivering an initiative are not considered administrative
- we will not fund endowments
- For grants of $500,000 or more, normally we will consider:
- directing up to 20% of our grant towards capital expenses, if those expenses are directly related to the initiative we'd be supporting
- allocating up to 10% of our funding toward costs associated with evaluating the progress and outcomes of the initiative
- directing no more than 15% of our funding towards administrative costs for the organization. Costs (including staffing) directly related to delivering an initiative are not considered administrative
- for a stand-alone organization, the maximum donation to be capped at $500,000 per year, for a maximum of five years
The budget should reflect the totality of the revenues and the expenses. You can include your current operating budget. We may contact you to require budgets from previous years.
Based on external and internal research, TD identified what we call the Four Interconnected Drivers of Change, because we believe when addressed together they can help people feel more confident about their future. As part of our research, we also identified focus areas and goals under each driver that will help guide the types of programs and initiatives we will support. For more information, please refer to the PDFs listed below for each driver.
- Canadian registered or incorporated charities and not-for-profits
- Organizations that provide benefits and strengthens the communities that we serve
- Initiatives that align to a focus area under one of the Four Interconnected Drivers of the TD Ready Commitment
- Initiatives with measurable outcomes
- Elementary and secondary public/separate schools
- Private schools
- Religious organizations (i.e., organizations whose primary purpose is religious practice or worship). Faith-based organizations, that provide programs and services for broader community benefit, may be considered.
- Sports teams and sporting events
- Individuals or individual pursuits/fundraising initiatives
- Recreational groups (lodges, fraternal clubs, self-improvement organizations, etc.)
- Conferences, trade shows, fairs
- Golf tournaments
- Production of videos, DVD’s and television shows
For organizations with national and regional chapters, our preference is to provide support to national offices unless there is sound rationale for the regional chapter to apply directly. For example, the annual budget of the regional chapter is greater than the national office's or the national office is an umbrella organization with no fundraising mandate or capacity.
TD provides substantial support to United Way organizations across Canada. For this reason, we do not typically provide duplicate support to organizations that are United Way/Centraide member agencies.
Organizations will normally be considered for funding once per year.
Organizations will normally be considered for funding once per year.
We do not make donations to individuals.
We require all new and existing applicants to fill out applications through our online system, including renewals. If your grant comes to an end this year and you want to be considered for funding, you will need to submit a new funding application within the timelines noted (see question: What is the application process and timelines?). This will also help us ensure that our records remain up to date with every organization.
Please note that we receive on average over 3,000 requests a year and receive more requests than we can fund. As a result, funding is never guaranteed.
You can contact firstname.lastname@example.org for general inquiries about funding. If you have specific questions or updates about your initiative, please contact the Community Relations Manager you have been working with.
You do not need to speak with a TD employee to be considered for funding. All requests will be reviewed based on the merits of the application. Please ensure you fill out the application to the best of your ability and refer to the questions listed under the section titled, Application Process, for more details about it.
If you do have questions about the process or your request, please contact email@example.com.
You will receive a confirmation email, along with a tracking ID, upon submission of your application.
Attachments cannot be added once the application is submitted.
COVID-19 and TD Funding
NOTE: We continue to monitor the situation closely and will update this information as necessary.
The focus of the TD Ready Commitment, the bank's corporate citizenship platform, has not changed. Our community giving remains targeted towards four interconnected drivers of change – Financial Security, Vibrant Planet, Connected Communities and Better Health – that nurture progress and contribute to making the world a more inclusive and sustainable place. By emphasizing the interconnectedness of health, social, economic and environmental issues, the COVID-19 pandemic demonstrates the relevance of these drivers and how the TD Ready Commitment can help alleviate short-term and long-term impacts.
We will continue to assess funding applications through the TD Ready Commitment based on the same criteria per our normal process. We have added a section in the application that will allow you to explain how your organization's initiative is addressing COVID-19.
Funding cycles have not been affected by COVID-19. We are still accepting applications for funding under the TD Ready Commitment four times per year – in July, October, January and April – as per our regular granting cycle outlined in the Application Process. For funding cycles and details related to the TD Friends of the Environment Foundation (TD FEF), please visit fef.td.com/funding/.
Existing funding commitments will be honoured. If your program cannot be delivered as planned or needs to be cancelled, please connect with your respective Community Relations Manager so we can work with you to find a way forward for your existing grant.
Any future applications for funding will not be negatively impacted if your current program cannot be delivered as planned or is cancelled due to COVID-19.